Wednesday 29 June 2011

Little Duck

I posted earlier about this little chap in his sailor suit.  He is one of a set from the Storybook Animals series by Jan Kornfeind of Country Appliques.








I thought he would make a nice addition to my Easter decorations - something different from all hens, rabbits and lambs.  I am a bit early for Easter, I know, but I am just trying to stay ahead.


Here is my background - you may recognise some fabrics from the Galaxy quilt I have just completed.  I thought I could use some of those plaid shirtings up! 



Next it is just a question of tracing, bondawebbing, cutting and go for the applique!  But the bit I like best is choosing the fabrics.  What will I pick for the duck's feathers, his hat, his beak, his trousers? 

When I first started doing these little appliques and people in shops offered to help I would say I'm looking for rabbit fur, or santa's beard - some people gave me some strange looks I have to tell you but others were very helpful.  It did feel great when I found the right fabrics though.  

Anyway here he is all cut out and ironed on!  The only bit of ironing I have done of late...





Now all I need to do is either machine satin stitch or hand button stitch round the pieces, a bit of button sewing on his trousers, and in the borders, a bit of embroidery of features and letters and some quilting.

A little project to keep me going and give me a rest from those big UFOs!  

And yes - for those sharp eyed among you - he does face the wrong way as I forgot to reverse the pattern templates but I thought that as they actually recommend this method of applique they would have done that for me....ah well it matters not!



Now I really think he deserves a name - any suggestions?   I'm thinking he looks like a Cyril....?  




Nicky


My earlier post on my little Easter applique quilts here



5 comments:

  1. lovely applique. It doesn't really matter which way he is facing, I think I prefer him facing left.
    Your other little quilts in the series are great too. We don't do much decorating for easter. Not a big event for us. Might be nice to though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is adorable! ah yes good name
    would be cute on a tea towel for easter too!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so sweet - but shouldn't you be working on Christmas stuff first?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! I was thinking the same thing...that they would have printed it in reverse for you. I am guessing you are not the only one who has made him facing the other direction! But he is adorable facing any direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little duck is super sweet!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...