Monday 1 August 2016

Oh knickers!

I have had a little kit from Trixie Lixie to make a pair of knickers for some time I know, familiar story: I see things I want to make them, and they end up in a drawer in my sewing room....




I wanted a quick make today to make my target of fifteen finishes in July.   The pattern said it could be done in 2 hours.  


I cut out the fabric and stitched it up.   The only problem I had was when it came to stitching the elastic.  It had to be stitched while stretching the elastic enough to keep the knickers on.   There was no help in how to judge how long a length of elastic to cut, nor how much stretch was required.

I eventually measured the elastic on me with a bit of stretch.   I cut to that length - two legs and one waist.  Then I marked the middle and quarter marks on both the elastic and on the fabric.   I pinned those points and then stitched stretching the elastic to fit.

I only had to unpick twice before I worked this out!   Duh! 

Next time I make a pair I will know better.

But here they are....



This is my fifteenth finish from my FAL list!   I'll be linking it up at the end of this quarter.  Phew I made my target for July but those were all the quick things....I'll be slowing down now!


Here is my original list.




Finish A Long 2016

5 comments:

  1. I see London. I see France. I see Trixie Lixie underpants. (Nobody ever accused me of excess maturity.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Nicky Knickers better than Knickerless Nicky?!!

    P.S. They're lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when sewing elastic like this I tend to do a quick anchoring stitch at one end, then start from the other end, and stretch the elastic after the first two or three stitches, good zigzag, and go medium speed. Took me a lot of leotards to work that one out properly.

    Fun this clothing sewing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing stretchy things scares me, I always have lots of unpicking too. But they turned out great! :) Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...